Did Kliff Kingsbury get officially hired yet?
It might happen. It might not. But Kingsbury would be foolish not to listen to some NFL offers first.
The amount of frenzy concerning his apperance at the McKay Center on Thursday just shows you how low USC has sunk this season. Fans are desperate for any kind of positive development or something that takes authority out of the hands of Clay Helton.
I’m disturbed how so many reports about Kingsbury taking the USC job mention he will inherit JT Daniels at quarterback. What about Jack Sears? What about an open competition at quarterback?
- Again, who will instill discipline and leadership next season? It won’t be Helton.
- Maybe after Kingsbury met with Helton, he thought, “I can’t believe this guy is still a head coach and I’m not.”
- I’m still extremely skeptical of the forthcoming defensive hires because Clancy Pendergast loves to hire yes men.
- Someone told me this week that Lynn Swann decided three weeks ago he would keep Helton no matter what happened the rest of the season. I’ve from a reliable source the Notre Dame result was irrelevant so I don’t put anything past Swann.
- Did you know Swann takes his golf clubs on USC football trips?
- Don’t be surprised if some players transfer now that the season is over.
- Everyone should read John Canzano’s four-part series on the Pac-12 this week in the Oregonian.
Here is a great quote from a former Pac-12 athletic director on how money is not everything within the conference:
“There are lot of well-funded disasters. Think USC.”
- Will anyone at USC ever examine if the athletic dept. has been well run the past 20 years? Nope.
- Have you kept an eye on USC’s coaching staff making home visits this week? I’ve seen at least three staffers on home visits who are not even coaches. It probably doesn’t matter because this recruiting class looks so underwhelming.
Now I know why Pendergast doesn’t recruit. He can’t even find a shirt that fits right.