How happy is new USC offensive line coach Clay McGuire?
Here is how happy:
- Texas State was 2-10 in 2020.
- Texas State was 3-9 in 2019.
- Texas Tech was 5-7 in 2018.
- Washington State was 9-4 in 2017.
- The Cougars were 8-5 in 2016. And 9-4 in 2015 and 2014.
- Washington State was 6-7 in 2013 and 3-9 in 2012.
Some questions: Why didn’t Mike Leach hire him at Mississippi State? Did Kliff Kingsbury, who hired him at Texas Tech in 2018, ever consider bringing him to USC? Or to the Arizona Cardinals? Maybe but he never hired him.
Remember I made an Alabama comparison last night: The Crimson Tide are reportedly close to hiring Doug Marrone as offensive line coach. Marrone was only the head coach with Syracuse, the Buffalo Bills and Jacksonville Jaguars.
- Robert Zangrillo received a pardon from Donald Trump on Tuesday night. Federal prosecutors said Zangrillo’s daughter turned in a USC application that falsely said she rowed about 44 hours per week for 15 weeks a year.
After she was accepted to USC, Zangrillo reportedly made a $50,000 donation to USC athletics and paid Varsity Blues mastermind Rick Singer $200,000.
Among those who lobbied for the pardon according to a White House press release was USC trustee Tom Barrack. It would be interesting to hear Rick Caruso explain if a trustee should be involved in seeking a pardon for a case that involved USC.
UPDATED: Barrack’s spokesperson said early Wednesday morning the White House press release was wrong.
“Mr. Barrack had nothing whatsoever to do with Mr. Zangrillo’s pardon. He never intervened and never had discussions with anyone about it. All reports to the contrary are patently false.”