Some USC midweek notes:
- I mentioned yesterday that Porter Gustin is getting rave reviews but really should be dominating against USC’s offensive line during spring drills.
- The same should be said about Iman Marshall. He is also having a good spring. But he is also facing Matt Fink, Jack Sears and walk-ons every day in practice. The question is whether Marshall will be able to defend receivers better next season after a fairly disastrous junior year. Will he still look like a safety playing cornerback? Will his technique improve?
- Clay Helton says the secondary has been the best group of the spring. Is that a dig at Jack Jones, who is suspended from spring football?
- Daniel Jeremiah of the NFL Network, who generally seems upbeat about USC, had this quote about Ronald Jones:
- “He’s had a poor offseason. He has not helped himself at all. He’s been a little bit nicked up and was not impressive at his makeup pro day.”
- USC is expected sign a top 15-ranked basketball class starting today. Three top 100 players signed: point guard Elijah Weaver, shooting guard Kevin Porter and power forward J’Raan Brooks.
- This is the fastest USC’s ever announced receiving its letters of intent. Sometimes it takes weeks for USC to announce its basketball recruiting class.
- Former USC basketball player Keith Wilkinson has been hired as the basketball coach at JSerra High School in San Juan Capistrano. I hope he is ready for the brutal competitiveness of the Trinity League, which includes Mater Dei, St. John Bosco and Santa Margarita.