- Former USC baseball coach/player Mike Gillespie makes his final appearance at Dedeaux Field when UC Irvine plays the Trojans tonight. Gillespie is 16-5 vs. USC since taking the Irvine job after being fired by Mike Garrett in 2006.
- Gillespie won an NCAA title at USC in 1998 and also won a title as a player in 1961 for the Trojans. He is one of only two people to win NCAA titles as a coach and player.His firing will go down as one of the worst decisions in Garrett’s tenure as athletic director.
- Meanwhile, the jury in the Todd McNair trial has asked for a portion of the transcript to be read back to them. The suspense is kiilling me.
- The NFL Network is counting down its top 100 players. Former USC nose tackle Jurrell Casey is No. 66. He was No. 86 last season.
- Former USC QB Matt Leinart and former Texas QB Vince Young will speak together in Los Angeles on Sept. 11 ahead of the USC-Texas game. The location for the event is TBA.