It’s one day into USC training camp and there are already some breathless media reports.
JT Daniels completed 7 of 8 passes and threw a TD pass with an intercetion. No one that ever watched Daniels play questioned his accuracy, especially in a no pads practice.
I expect Daniels to start this season. But the question will be what he does against a live pass rush. He didn’t really get pressured much at Mater Dei, which had an excellent offensive line. That’s a key. Remember that as people write about yesterday’s practice like it was a seminal moment.
- The same goes for tailback Stephen Carr, who had back surgery, and participated in the entire first practice.
Remember when you have back surgery, it is the full contact practices, which start next week, that are the better tests to see how far a player has recovered.
- One disappointment last season was the poor usage by the coaches of wide receiver Randal Grimes, who burned his redshirt year in extremely limited game appearances. So it was disconcerting to see Grimes did not participate in the first practice because of a back injury.
- Freshman linebacker Solomon Tuliaupupu (foot surgery) was also out.
- Quarterback Jack Sears has switched to No. 10. He wore No. 13 last season.
- As expected, tight end Jude Wolfe of St. John Bosco committed to USC last night.