How many times have you heard a college football pundit say Clay Helton went 8-4 vs. a difficult schedule?
They have a point. Look at some of the teams USC beat:
- Stanford without quarterback K.J. Costello
- Utah without tailback Zach Moss
- Colorado with woozy QB Steven Montez
- Arizona State without QB Jayden Daniels
- Cal without QB Chase Garbers
- UCLA with quarterback Dorian Thompson-Robinson nursing a sore ankle
Now someone will surely point out USC’s injuries. But if we agree USC has more talent than other Pac-12 teams, it can obviously sustain them better than Cal or Colorado or Arizona State. I’d also agree with you if you say Helton does his best to neutralize that talent advantage.