The USC coaching staff is official. The big disappointment is Donte Williams is not only coaching the cornerbacks, he got a fake title: Defensive passing game coordinator.
Lincoln Riley is doing a lot of great things. This is not one of them.
“I truly believe we have put together an elite group of coaches that will help build this football program back to national prominence,” Riley said.
There are quite a few titles. Dennis Simmons is assistant head coach and offensive passing game coordinator. Roy Manning is assistant head coach for the defense. And nickels coach. Dave Nichol is associate head coach of the offense. Brian Odom is associate head coach of the defense.
Meanwhile, Graham Harrell got hired as offensive coordinator at West Virginia. Poor Mountaineers.
The 10-man USC staff and their coaching responsibilities:
- Dennis Simmons, assistant head coach, outside wide receivers coach and offensive passing game coordinator, has coached some of the collegiate game’s elite receivers.
- Alex Grinch, defensive coordinator and safeties coach, is regarded as one of the nation’s top defensive coordinators and secondary coaches.
- Josh Henson, offensive coordinator and offensive line coach, has 23 years of coaching experience primarily in the SEC and Big 12 and has been part of a national championship staff.
- Donte Williams, defensive backs coach and defensive passing game coordinator, remains on the USC staff after serving as the Trojans’ interim head coach last season and is considered one of the nation’s top recruiters.
- Roy Manning, outside linebackers coach, nickels coach and assistant head coach for defense, is a former Big Ten and NFL linebacker who has coached in three Power 5 conferences.
- Dave Nichol, inside wide receivers coach and associate head coach for offense, has a long background in the offense that the Trojans will employ.
- Brian Odom, inside linebackers coach and associate head coach for defense, has a dual background in coaching linebackers and sports performance.
- Shaun Nua, defensive line coach, is a former NFL Super Bowl-winning defensive end who has coaching experience in the Pac-12 and Big Ten.
- Kiel McDonald, running backs coach, has tutored some of the Pac-12’s top running backs in recent years.
- Zach Hanson, tight ends coach, is regarded as one of the game’s top young coaches.