USC is going to play Utah on Friday night. Yes, Friday, because the Pac-12 has to play its title game on a Friday, unlike the other major conferences.
But Oregon’s loss that allowed Utah into the Pac-12 game led to a flurry of texts among some Pac-12 coaches last night, happy to see the Ducks blow a 21-point lead. Why?
Among some coaches, there was a feeling Lanning had been unjustly built up as a golden boy and got exposed in the losses to Washington and Oregon State. Also, the coaching grapevine says Lanning is a difficult coach to work for, which makes him less popular.
- Austin Jones has rushed for 274 yards the past two weeks, quite a step up since Travis Dye got hurt.
- USC is ranked No. 4 in the AP Top 25 poll, up one spot from last week.
- When Korey Foreman intercepted a pass to preserve USC’s victory over UCLA, some believed it would mark a turning point for the defensive end. He followed up with zero tackles last night.
- Georgia Southern beat Appalachian State, 51-48, in OT yesterday, which means it finished 6-6 under Clay Helton and is bowl eligible.
- Luke Fickell was not interested in the USC job last season but he took the Wisconsin job today. Talk about making your life more difficult.