NCAA commissioner Mark Emmert made $3.9 million for 2017-18, according to Yahoo.
That is outrageous until you consider it is 27 percent less than Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott‘s $5.3 million salary for the same period. And the truth is, USC athletic director Lynn Swann is believed to make between $3-4 million a year.
At least the NCAA and Pac-12 were transparent about those salary figures. USC refused to disclose Swann’s salary. Probably because it knew there would be such a vicious reaction to Swann making that much money. And Swann is the only one of the three who jets off to do an autograph show instead of his job.
- When is USC wide receiver Josh Imatorbhebhe going to transfer?
- Did you see Utah has a 97-percent renewal rate for season tickets and a 3,000-person waiting list? Obviously, there are less entertainment options in Salt Lake City but . . . wouldn’t it be refreshing if USC announced these figures for its season tickets? Well, it would probably be more scary at the moment.
- USC’s best women’s basketball player last season, Minyon Moore, is visiting Oregon this weekend. She averaged 14.8 points, 5.9 assists and 5.5 rebounds last season. The Ducks are national-title contenders for next season. Isn’t it amazing that Oregon and Oregon State has elite women’s basketball programs and USC, with its rich history, is a nothing burger. Thanks, Swann.
- Philadelphia Phillies pitcher Cole Irvin is the grandson of USC basketball player Roy Irvin, who led the Trojans to the 1954 Final Four. Irvin led the Trojans in scoring (13.0) and rebounds (7.8). Another member of that team, Dick Hammer, is the grandfather of Sam Darnold.
- USC offered a scholarship this week to quarterback Ty Simpson of Martin, Tenn. He will be a sophomore next season.
- USC baseball upset No. 12-ranked Oregon State, 2-0, on Thursday night in Corvallis. It’s the final series of the season for the Trojans, who are currently in seventh place in the Pac-12. The victory helped UCLA clinch the Pac-12 title.
- I would not recommend USC hire Oregon baseball coach George Horton, but his contract is up June 30. Oregon must notify Horton of its intentions for next year by June 16 and if it intends to exercise its option, he has until June 30 to decide whether to return. He hasn’t done a great job at Oregon but I’m sure Lynn Swann and Co. don’t have a clue who to hire if they fire Dan Hubbs. Besides, would you have said USC re-hiring Mark Trakh as women’s basketball coach was ridiculous before it happened?
- If you are a hockey fan, you might see Marcus Allen at a Blues-Bruins Stanley Cup playoff game. Allen lives in suburban St. Louis, which is far from Southern California and any unwanted attention since ESPN’s O.J. Simpson documentary aired three years ago. Several former USC players told me Allen moved to St. Louis to escape the spotlight after he was portrayed in an unflattering light in the documentary.
- USC wide receivers coach Keary Colbert was at the St. John Bosco spring game Thursday. Offensive coordinator Graham Harrell and defensive backs coach Greg Burns were at the Mater Dei College Showcase on Wednesday.
- Here is a photo of USC QB Jack Sears at the USC Athletics Graduation ceremony two weeks ago. If Sears has enough units to graduate by August, does this mean he could transfer during training camp and play at another school this season?