USC has some great skill players but why can’t it land great offensive linemen?
It has four offensive line commits for 2020 who have a total of 16 scholarship offers from Power 5 schools. The three linemen who committed elsewhere (Myles Murao, Drake Metcalf, Jeffrey Persi) since June 25 have 58 offers from Power 5 schools.
Murao became Washington’s 10th commitment for 2020 and improved the Huskies’ recruiting class to No. 31 in Rivals’ rankings. USC has nine commitments and is ranked No. 59 by Rivals.
The Huskies also have a commitment from four-star offensive tackle Roger Rosengarten, who like Murao also spurned USC.
Maybe offensive line prospects realize they require good coaching to develop. They can’t simply show up ready-made like a five-star wide receiver. They need to be coached.
- It seems crazy to even wonder when USC will compete with Clemson or Alabama. Recruiting needs to catch up to a lot more schools first.
- There were crickets from the USC recruiting analysts Thursday regarding Murao’s commitment to Washington. It’s funny how they drop a kid once he decides on a school not called USC.
- I hear new President Carol Folt‘s email inbox was inundated this week with comments about USC athletics. Her first day had a $2 million lawsuit filed against USC by a former football analyst. Her third day had USC pay UC San Diego $50 million and apologize for engaging in unethical behavior.
- There are people who work in the athletic dept. administration who believe either athletic director Lynn Swann or senior associate athletic director Steve Lopes will eventually be held accountable by Folt for the mismanagement of the past 2-3 years.
- I previously wrote about actress Marlo Thomas, who graduated from USC, dating Trojan basketball player Jim Pugh in the late 1950’s. At the time she was known more as the daughter of entertainer-TV star Danny Thomas, who she took to Julie’s restaurant to wait for Pugh after a basketball game.
- But a more high-profile relationship took place about 10 years later. Mike Hull, a USC fullback who played from 1965-67, dated actress Sally Field.
One time, USC was on its way to the Beef Bowl before playing in the Rose Bowl, and the team buses passed a billboard for the TV show, “The Flying Nun,” which starred Field. Hull never heard the end of it from his teammates in the bus.