What exactly can Clay Helton do?
- He can’t have USC take a snap under center in the victory formation.
- He can’t punt the ball at midfield in the fourth quarter with 2:44 remaining and a 31-23 lead.
- He can’t get his kick return team to avoid having two players wear No. 7 to start the game.
- He called a timeout that allowed Fresno State to set up for a field goal.
- It is genuinely fatiguing to catalog all of his errors during the season. And there were many more than what I listed above but for a game against a double-digit underdog, this was atrocious.
- Does Helton call Jack Sears today and ask him to return to the team? If I am Sears, I say “sure thing” provided Helton makes Sears the starting QB vs. Stanford.
But in Sears’ transfer statement last week, he did say, “I am available if the team needs me.”
Why come back for scout team?
- JT Daniels will get an MRI today to confirm what sure looks like a torn ACL.
“Gut wrenching,” Helton said. “You see a kid that’s poured so much into the game and into this team and him becoming better, physically and mentally as a quarterback.”