NBCSN recently showed the 1980 Rose Bowl, when USC defeated Ohio State, 17-16.
About 20 years later, I heard this story from a USC coach: With 1:32 left in the game and Ohio State ahead 16-10, USC coach John Robinson turned to offensive coordinator Paul Hackett and said, “If you call a pass play, you’re fired.”
The ball was on the USC 17-yard line.
- Charles White gained 31 yards on first down.
- White gained 30 on the next play.
- Michael Hayes and Marcus Allen then gained 11 yards in the next 2 plays down to the Ohio State 11.
- White then gained 3 yards.
- Then 5 yards.
- Then 2 yards just one foot from the goal line.
- White then scored running behind Allen.
- Hackett had followed directions.
“I was looking at the other guys and saying they have to stop 11 of us, not just me, all 11,” White said. “I didn’t think they could do that.”