Two weeks ago, I wrote that Carson Palmer, Jack Del Rio and Jeff Bregel are on the College Football Hall of Fame ballot.
Palmer is obviously going to be a popular choice. But if you go by college careers, Bregel probably deserves more consideration than he will get:
- He was a two-time consensus All-American
- He was a two-time AP All-American
- He was a two-time Playboy All-American
- He won the Morris Trophy in 1985, which goes to the Pac-12’s top offensive and defensive linemen
- He was a two-time Pac-10 first-team selection
- In 2008, Sports Illustrated named him to its 1980’s All-American team of the decade
- He was a member of the two Super Bowl championship teams with the San Francisco 49ers
Oh, it should be noted Bregel is not even in the USC Hall of Fame. Remember, offensive lineman Marvin Powell is the only player in the College Football Hall of Fame who is not in the USC Hall of Fame.