A few interesting things going around the USC campus . . .
- Willow Bay’s name has been seriously floated as an interim president. She is the dean of the Annenberg School of Communication and Journalism. You might know her better as the former host of NBA Inside Stuff.
Her husband is Robert Iger, the CEO of Walt Disney Co., who is reportedly worth about $100 million.
- If you think Bay would be a star-system choice, another name being floated is Condoleeza Rice to be the next school president.
I cannot imagine Rice actually wants the job when she can do the important work of starting the College Football Playoff or heading a College Basketball Commission that quickly drew criticism last month.
Here’s a revolutionary idea: Maybe USC will just hire someone who already has experience as a college president.
- And what of current president Max Nikias? When will he formally resign? Changes to the university PR materials are already starting to be made, including a re-editing of the “Welcome” video used during the summer orientation sessions that features Nikias.
- Memo to all baseball prospects. Your social media accounts are searched by major league teams and everyone else before and during the MLB draft.
- USC first baseman Dillon Paulson was drafted by the Dodgers in the 13th round Wednesday and then it quickly emerged he used a gay slur to describe Dodgers outfielder
“There’s nothing that excuses that,” Paulson said in an interview with SCNG “It’s not correct. It’s embarrassing. Being young and dumb is not an excuse. I’m embarrassed. I wish it never went out. I was young, thinking it was funny. It’s obviously not funny. It’s not the way I want to represent myself. Not how I want to carry myself.”