If you are a regular reader of my blog, this will not surprise you.
I was told Thursday night that USC athletic director Lynn Swann is already at Augusta National Golf Club, his second trip to the golf course in 2019.
Swann’s official reason for being at Augusta is that three USC golfers are participating in the Augusta National Women’s Amateur tournament that started Wednesday. He is a supervisor of the USC women’s golf program, of course.
If Swann stays for the Masters, he will spend anywhere from 7-10 days at Augusta. And that comes after his trip last weekend to an autograph show in Virginia.
“While on this brief weekend trip back East, I was constantly connected with people at our university,” Swann said in his statement Tuesday.
Is Swann going to be in constant contact with “people” this weekend and beyond? I wonder how new president Carol Folt feels about the athletic director’s chutzpah?
This would be viewed as insane at virtually any other school. My research shows Swann’s visited Augusta, Pebble Beach, Riviera Country Club, Wilshire Country Club, TPC Sawgrass and now Augusta again on USC’s dime in 2019. And these are just the trips I know about.
When will it end?
- Remember how Clay Helton said USC had only one penalty in 200 plays last week? During Thursday’s practice, USC had four penalties during the same punt return drill. Thanks, John Baxter!
- I think it is safe to say the spring quarterback derby is really close. It would be really surprising to see a starter named after four more practices, mainly because Graham Harrell should want more time to evaluate. Clay Helton needs no time because he wants JT Daniels to start.
- Swann made it clear in his statement this week he did not appreciate former linebacker Riki (Gray) Ellison‘s comments criticizing him in the Los Angeles Times. I wondered if Ellison would respond? He did post this message on facebook without mentioning anyone specific: “If you can’t stand up for what is ethically wrong in leadership of what you care about, you then tolerate it, you then condone it and you accelerate the degradation of the culture you care about.”
- The irony with Ellison is that he strongly supported Swann’s decision to bring back Helton this year.
- After wearing an old hat and sweatshirt from the Pete Carroll era during Tuesday’s practice, secondary coach Greg Burns wore a new hat and sweatshirt on Thursday.
- USC baseball has to play three games with Arizona State at Dedeaux Field this weekend. The Sun Devils are 25-2.
- Former San Jose State guard Noah Baumann has narrowed his choices to USC, Grand Canyon and UC Santa Barbara. He averaged 10.6 points and made 46 percent of his 3-pointers last season.