A part of me still finds it hard to believe Lynn Swann is no longer athletic director.
After the way former president Max Nikias celebrity-worshipped Swann and interim president Wanda Austin chose to ignore his shortcomings, Carol Folt is a totally foreign entity for USC’s administration.
Witnesses from Monday keep emphasizing how blindsided Swann was by his dismissal. Remember, he wanted to be USC athletic director for 10 years.
Swann showed such little concern for the fans that it’s easy to see why he has generated no sympathy this week.
- “Is he going to lose his complimentary membership at Wilshire Country Club now that he is no longer athletic director?” one booster mused this week.
- USC interim A.D. Dave Roberts has his own share of critics. A former USC coach contacted me to complain about his own run-ins with Roberts, who could be abrasive when he was compliance director. And a donor complained about the time Roberts tried to kick him off the sideline before a road game. The standoff ended with the donor winning when it was determined they had a field pass from USC’s opponent.
- BYU ranks No. 128 out of 130 teams in rushing defense. The Cougars allow 252 yards per game. Will that force Graham Harrell to adapt a run-first game plan Saturday?
- A Pac-12 TV analyst agreed with me that USC played with more energy vs. Arizona State last year and Stanford last weekend when backup quarterbacks were thrusted into the starting job.
- Oklahoma athletic director Joe Castiglione is speaking to the Pasadena Quarterbacks Club today. It is hard to imagine he would leave for USC but Folt might want to call him to see if he can help lure Bob Stoops.
- USC is offering the first 100 former players who responded two free tickets and a sideline pass to the Utah game. After the first 100, it is offering one free ticket and one sideline pass.
- Can you believe USC defensive end Connor Murphy recorded the first sack of his career vs. Stanford? His former classmate, Oluwole Betiku, also never had a sack at USC but now leads the nation in sacks at Illinois.
- JT Daniels will not make the trip to BYU because the flight could cause swelling in his injured knee.
- Off topic: I spoke to three NFL scouts this week and none of them said they would take Oregon quarterback Justin Herbert with the No. 1 pick. Their primary complaint is they are not sure Herbert is a leader or QB who plays well when his team falls behind.
- And finally . . . if you missed my USC podcast this week which deals heavily on Swann, it’s below.