How did we get to a point where LSU playing in the national title game highlights multiple USC shortcomings?
One reason is because Ed Orgeron is aware of and highlighting the shameful way USC treats people.
- John Robinson was let go by Lynn Swann last spring and told he would need to pay for his season tickets.
- Brian Kennedy was banished by Pat Haden for pushing Orgeron to get the head-coaching job and treated poorly by Lynn Swann for not offering a blank check book at all times.
- Kenechi Udeze was fired by Clay Helton in large part because he didn’t curry favor with Clancy Pendergast and was a selective scapegoat 13 months ago. You can argue about whether he was a great coach but was he any worse than John Baxter, who kept his job a year ago?
- Then there is Orgeron himself. Haden, an elitist, didn’t like his blue-collar persona and got rid of him for Steve Sarkisian. It wasn’t unreasonable for an athletic director to want to hire someone with head-coaching experience. But Sarkisian? He was on the verge of getting fired at Washington when USC rescued him.
Whatever happens tonight, remember all these people were committed to helping USC for many years and given a cold sendoff.
- USC women’s basketball dropped to 0-5 in the Pacific-12 Conference after losing to Utah on Sunday.
Why was Mark Trakh brought back for a second stint? The quick answer is money. USC didn’t even want to pay what Washington offered Jody (Anton) Wynn and she is a former Trojans player.
Mike Bohn needs to address this too as soon as he finishes ignoring football.