USC held only one spring practice before the coronavirus restrictions put everything on hold.
Here are the things to watch when analyzing the entirely new defensive staff:
- Do they have players in the right positions?
- Yelling and energy are two different things
- You can’t yell and teach at the same time
- When you have total defensive energy, it comes by itself
- Only time will tell if the USC coaches can master that
The reason I focus so much on yelling is these days it is fashionable for coaches to simply yell in order to get attention, instead of coach. The yellers draw the attention of fans and media.
But the teachers can draw more out of players. It is possible, but rare, to do both. Ed Orgeron is a yeller who also teaches. So was Marv Goux. We will see whether the current defensive coaches can do both.
- Orgeron has filed for divorce from his wife Kelly, according to the Advocate. The couple were married Feb. 19, 1997.