Everyone mentioned the USC-to-Pitt quarterback pipeline when Kedon Slovis repeated the same transfer as Max Browne.
But they forgot to add former USC QB Ricky Town also transferred to Pitt, so it really is a trend. Town played in just one game at Pitt, completing one pass. He famously left USC during training camp after getting a look at Sam Darnold.
- Is there any reason to think Slovis will succeed at Pitt?
There’s been so little scrutiny of him at USC. His injury at the end of his freshman season was never fully revealed. He looked injured during his sophomore season. He played worse his junior season. He was injury prone.
It didn’t help that USC’s receiver corps got worse each year too. By last season, it was pretty much throw to Drake London every play until London got hurt.
I don’t think Slovis will get healthier (or more accurately stay injury free) at Pitt. I also don’t think his arm has recovered fully from those injuries. And I wonder if he is getting a little shell-shocked from repeated hits.
All that said, I hope he has a good season at Pitt. I think it will help to have a season away from Graham Harrell.
- USC’s basketball games against Arizona and Arizona State have officially been postponed because of COVID issues within the Trojans’ program. If you never play anyone, you will never lose.
- USC and UCLA basketball should be in the top 10 of the Associated Press Top 25 in January for the first time since 1975.
- I hear UCLA had the choice of taking quarterbacks Dillon Gabriel, Spencer Rattler and Adrian Martinez. It chose Gabriel. I wonder how quarterback-of-the-future Ethan Garbers feels?
- UCLA is hiring former USC defensive line coach Chad Kauha’aha’a to coach its defensive line next season.
- Where will JT Daniels be playing next season?
- Former USC assistant coach Demetrice Martin recently left Colorado for Oregon. This means the Ducks will now get his son, four-star cornerback Cole Martin, who is in the Class of 2023.
- What would be the odds before the season that safety Isaiah Pola-Mao would not win an award at the team football banquet? It just shows the type of season he had.
Ditto for cornerback Chris Steele. Safeties Xavion Alford and Calen Bullock were named perimeter players of the season.
FREEZING COLD TAKES
USC will play for the National Championship pic.twitter.com/WvKgEn48Ai— Herd w/Colin Cowherd (@TheHerd) April 17, 2017
- USC’s athletics is officially telling Oklahoma fans to leave them alone. This passes for “cool content” these days.