The USC spring game was probably notable for how much it confirmed what was already known.
- Caleb Williams will carry the offense, has some good receivers and tailbacks. The offensive line was average but had problems with the blitz. I’m sure some people expected Williams to lead USC on a TD drive every time he was on the field but that rarely happens in spring games. He’s going to be the focal point of the team all season.
- The defense offered some question marks, especially in the secondary. It did matter Mekhi Blackmon did not play because he is cornerback No. 1. The rest were ordinary. The defense did better when it blitzed but you can’t blitz every play.
- I’ve mentioned the transfers throughout spring and they showed why Saturday. Caleb Williams, Mario Williams, Travis Dye, Romello Height. I didn’t mention Shane Lee but I’m not worried about him.
- The defense as a whole looked decent in stretches and not-so great in others.
- I hope incoming Austalian punter Atticus Bertrams is good because the punting looked awful Saturday. USC might need a punter in the transfer portal.
- Here’s a couple Lincoln Riley quotes:
“Guys were excited to play today. If you’re in the city and don’t feel the momentum about this program, you’re not paying attention. And our guys feel it right now. They were amped to play this game.”
“We’ve worked our ass off the last four-and-a-half months in the program to build a culture and a standard.”
- Lastly, USC is riding a wave since the Lincoln Riley hire. The spring game was on ESPN.
So why did it need to lie and say it had 33,427 at the Coliseum today? No way. But it wanted to say it had a record. Of course, this smells of Tim Tessalone — who is retired but still working — being involved because no one else was around in the “old days” and they will just create a figure to set a record.
For the Coliseum to have 33,000 means it would be at 42 percent capacity? Does this look like 42 percent?https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js
"33,000" pic.twitter.com/lMsyLNKvB9— Captain Deadpool (@dazdilly2323) April 23, 2022