USC is flying high after its 66-14 victory over Rice.
I’m wondering how thrilled some players are who didn’t do much Saturday.
- Wide receiver Terrell Bynum, who transferred from Washington, did not catch a pass.
- Wide receiver Gary Bryant, who started seven games last season, caught 1 pass for 7 yards.
- Wide receiver Brenden Rice, the transfer from Colorado, had 1 catch for 5 yards.
- Tailback Travis Dye, who transferred from Oregon and had 140 carries last season, had 5 for 20 yards.
- Tailback Austin Jones, who transferred from Stanford, averaged 117 carries the past 2 seasons, had 4 carries for 48 yards.
Dye and Jones combined rushed for the same amount as Caleb Williams (68 yards).
Now it’s hard to get everyone the ball when you have a lot of weapons. And it’s Game 1.
But I bring it up because I know how players are. They talk about this stuff all the time. Plus I’ve heard USC coaches talk up players like Bynum even though he doesn’t start. And he didn’t get a pass Saturday.