This week was the 25th anniversary of the O.J. Simpson white Bronco chase.
And of course, the driver was Al Cowlings, who now has a building named after him at USC.
People I know who run into Cowlings tell me he doesn’t talk about the current USC football team these days, let alone Simpson.
But back to Simpson. A USC football player, who is about five years younger than Simpson, told me that after the trial, he was driving when a woman pulled up to him and yelled, “You were guilty! Murderer!”
“More than one person confused me for O.J.,” the former USC player said.
- Cornerback Clark Phillips of La Habra will make his college announcement today. He is the No. 4-ranked cornerback in the nation by Rivals and 247. His final five schools are Ohio State, Oregon, UCLA, Notre Dame and Cal.
You might remember USC did not even offer Phillips until March. And there are still some pundit-types out there who say, “I trust Clay Helton. I trust Tim Drevno. I trust Clancy Pendergast. I trust Greg Burns.”
USC takes a two-star prospect last week but doesn’t offer the No. 4-ranked corner until it’s too late? Makes perfect sense.
- The Cleveland Cavaliers clearly wanted USC guard Kevin Porter: Trading four second-round draft picks and giving the Milwaukee Bucks $5 million.
Imagine what Porter is about to experience in Cleveland. He goes from playing for little-respected Andy Enfield to highly respected John Beilein.
I don’t think Porter will be calling Beilein a “f—— idiot” like he allegedly called Enfield last season. And he will suddenly be playing for a detailed-oriented coach. Sink or swim time.
- Meanwhile, USC forward Bennie Boatwright signed a free-agent contract with the Detroit Piston late Thursday night.
- USC women’s basketball has added graduate transfer Aliyah Jeune, a 6-1 guard from Morehead State. She averaged averaged 16.1 points, 6.1 rebounds and 2.7 assists per game last season.
- A former college baseball coach gave me this analysis on USC hiring Jason Gill as its new coach. “I have yet to hear any USC insider went to bat for Gill other than to say he was affordable. Every D-I program in the area is laughing. They are not impressed or threatened.”
- And this on the new USC coaching staff of Ted Silva and Gabe Alvarez: “Silva is a A- or B+ hire. Jason and Gabe are C- at best.”
- When is USC athletic director Lynn Swann going to make an announcement on what he is doing with the men’s and women’s water polo coaching jobs?
- Duke had three of the top 10 picks in the NBA Draft and didn’t make the Final Four? At least USC won the national title when it had five first-round picks in the 1968 NFL Draft (Ron Yary, Mike Taylor, Tim Rossovich, Mike Hull and Earl McCullough).
- Below, from left to right, Taylor, Yary, Rossovich, Hull and McCullough give best wishes to teammate, O.J. Simpson, who a year late would be the No. 1 pick in the 1969 NFL Draft.