With little fanfare earlier this week, the College Football Hall of Fame announced its Class of 2022.
No one from USC made the class, which was surprising to some because Reggie Bush was on the ballot. But I wrote in August there was a campaign by some voters opposed to Bush being on the ballot.
“One of the things you are supposed to take into consideration is integrity,” said one of the voters in the group. “That is what bothers some of us.”
Apparently, the backlash was widespread enough to deny Bush.
Still, it had to be surprising to Bush that he did make it, given that he is a Heisman Trophy winner and received vigorous support from USC since being welcomed back to campus.
I’ve even heard USC wanted Bush to be placed on the ballot, which meant someone else got dropped. The other USC players on the ballot were safety Mark Carrier and offensive lineman Jeff Bregel.
Here are the players who made the College Football Hall of Fame:
2022 COLLEGE FOOTBALL HALL OF FAME CLASS
- LaVar Arrington – LB, Penn State (1997-99)
- Champ Bailey – DB, Georgia (1996-98)
- Michael Crabtree – WR, Texas Tech (2007-08)
- Sylvester Croom – C, Alabama (1972-74)
- Mike Doss – S, Ohio State (1999-2002)
- Chuck Ealey – QB, Toledo (1969-71)
- Kevin Faulk – AP/RB, LSU (1995-98)
- Moe Gardner – DT, Illinois (1987-90)
- Boomer Grigsby – LB, Illinois State (2001-04)
- Mike Hass – WR, Oregon State (2002-05)
- Marvin Jones – LB, Florida State (1990-92)
- Andrew Luck – QB, Stanford (2009-11)
- Mark Messner – DT, Michigan (1985-88)
- Terry Miller – RB, Oklahoma State (1974-77)
- Rashaan Salaam – RB, Colorado (1992-94)
- Dennis Thomas – C, Alcorn State (1971-73)
- Zach Wiegert – OT, Nebraska (1991-94)
- Roy Williams – DB, Oklahoma (1999-2001)