Now that we are a couple weeks removed from the end of spring practice, the hype has settled down.
But spin lasts forever.
“After winning a Rose Bowl and winning the Pac-12 title and you lose the last four losses by seven points or less,” Clay Helton said this week.
Why do we need to be reminded of all this?
USC won a Rose Bowl (that it went to without winning the Pac-12 South) and won a Pac-12 title the following year, thanks to Sam Darnold. We all know you blew the losses.
- You let the players talk you out of a field goal and failed to convert a key fourth-and-1 vs. Arizona State.
- You ran a horrible pass defense on a key TD pass vs. Cal and let Iman Marshall commit a dumb penalty at the end of the game.
- You lost to a 2-8 UCLA team at the Rose Bowl as your star defensive coordinator let Joshua Kelly rush for 289 yards.
- You only lost to Notre Dame 24-17 because JT Daniels threw his “dumb smile” touchdown pass with 48 seconds left that made the score look better.
We don’t need to be reminded. We know. We lived the losses. Just fix the mistakes and don’t make excuses.
Meanwhile . . .
- Lynn Swann sure took a prominent role at the USC-UCLA dual track meet Sunday, making sure he was front-and-center and pictured. Could he be feeling some heat now that a new president is in town?
- Felicia Washington was hired this week by USC as senior vice president of human resources. This is a new position for USC and tells you why so many of these scandals existed. Without a single HR executive, too many departments and divisions could do things differently.
Washington, like new president Carol Folt, comes from the University of North Carolina. Also this week, USC hired David Wright as senior vice president for administration and Glenn Osaki as senior vice president and chief communications officer. Changes are being made at least. Now when will the athletic dept. start changing?
- Former USC cornerback Nickell Robey, who plays for the Rams, will graduate from USC next Friday.
- Among the celebrities who will speak at the different on-campus commencement ceremonies are Jimmy Kimmel, Kristen Bell and Mikhail Baryshnikov.
Bell will speak at the School of Dramatic Arts commencement, Kimmel will be the School of Medicine speaker and Baryshnikov will speak at the School of Dance’s first-ever ceremony.
- Here is a picture above from the 1959 Los Angeles Classic Tournament at the Sports Arena. Tempers flared between USC and UCLA and referees intervened. A crowd of more than 13,000 watched a USC-UCLA/West Virginia Cal doubleheader. It makes me nostalgic for the Sports Arena.
USC and UCLA played each other five times that season including the final weekend of the season, when the games were Friday/Saturday night. UCLA won three of the games by a total of five points.
- USC baseball hosts No. 2-ranked Stanford for three games starting Friday night at Dedeaux Field. Can pitcher Connor Lunn work his magic again? Lunn has pitched in USC victories over UCLA, Arizona State, Utah, Washington State and Cal Poly San Luis Obispo in the past five weeks in the opening game of each three-game series. Lunn is 6-1 overall with a 2.23 ERA and allowed only 37 hits in 60.2 innings.
Too bad his talents are being squandered on a Dan Hubbs-coached team.