Lynn Swann‘s departure from USC left a laundry list of transgressions.
Here are a few:
- He gave Clay Helton a five-year contract extension.
- He didn’t fire Helton.
- He presided over the FBI investigations into the College Admissions scandal and basketball program.
- He banned the song girls from basketball games.
- He attended an autograph show in Virginia during the admissions scandal and the same day USC hosted five sports events.
- He chose to attend the Masters for two weeks, which delayed hiring a women’s basketball coach.
- He showed little concern for fans who had their seats moved at the Coliseum during the renovation.
- He wrote a tone deaf, arrogant statement to the fans to explain why he kept Helton.
- He once threatened to remove a booster’s name from a campus sign following a disagreement.
I could go on and on.
I would add that this blog also played a role: Swann’s many golf outings were publicized and discussed here frequently and it eventually seeped into the national media.